In this absorbing new entry in the acclaimed bestselling series, Scotland Yard’s Ian Rutledge is caught up in a twisted web of vengeance and murder
On the north coast of Cornwall, an apparent act of mercy is repaid by an arrest for murder. Four young women have been accused of the crime. A shocked father calls in a favor at the Home Office. Scotland Yard is asked to review the case.
However, Inspector Ian Rutledge is not the first Inspector to reach the village. Following in the shoes of a dead man, he is told the case is all but closed. Even as it takes an unexpected personal turn, Rutledge will require all his skill to deal with the incensed families of the accused, the grieving parents of the victim, and local police eager to see these four women sent to the infamous Bodmin Gaol. Then why hasn’t the killing stopped?
With no shred of evidence to clear the accused, Rutledge must plunge deep into the darkest secrets of a wild, beautiful and dangerous place if he is to find a killer who may-or may not-hold the key to their fate. (Summary and cover courtesy of goodreads.com)
Please note: I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review courtesy of the publisher.
I really enjoyed this read! It was everything I look for in a mystery – a decent setup story, suspense that keeps me wondering and a big reveal that didn’t result in nightmares. After reading two of Charles Todd’s book I have realized I really like the level of insight we get from Rutledge during his investigation. The authors manage to reveal enough of Rutledge’s thoughts to keep us intrigued without the readier immediately knowing what is going on. That means as the reader, you still have to make some guesses as to what is coming next.
Having had some of the back-story from the previous story as well, it was interesting to see some of the developments in Rutledge’s personal life as well. I’d certainly be willing to continue this series!
Warning: Contains violence.
Rating: 4 stars!
Who should read it? Mystery fans looking for something on the lighter side, but not too suspenseful.
Want to read the whole series?
- A Test of Wills (Inspector Ian Rutledge #1)
- Wings of Fire (Inspector Ian Rutledge #2)
- Search the Dark (Inspector Ian Rutledge #3)
- Legacy of the Dead (Inspector Ian Rutledge #4)
- Watchers of Time (Inspector Ian Rutledge #5)
- A Fearsome Doubt (Inspector Ian Rutledge #6)
- A Cold Treachery (Inspector Ian Rutledge #7)
- A Long Shadow (Inspector Ian Rutledge #8)
- A False Mirror (Inspector Ian Rutledge #9)
- A Pale Horse (Inspector Ian Rutledge #10)
- A Matter of Justice (Inspector Ian Rutledge #11)
- The Red Door (Inspector Ian Rutledge #12)
- The Kidnapping(Inspector Ian Rutledge #12.5)
- A Lonely Death (Inspector Ian Rutledge #13)
- The Confession (Inspector Ian Rutledge #14)
- Proof of Guilt (Inspector Ian Rutledge #15)
- Hunting Shadows (Inspector Ian Rutledge #16)
- Cold Comfort (Inspector Ian Rutledge #16.5)
- A Fine Summers Day (Inspector Ian Rutledge #17)