Atlanta would be a nice place to live, if it weren’t for the magic…
When the magic is up, rogue mages cast their spells and monsters appear, while guns refuse to fire and cars fail to start. But then technology returns, and the magic recedes as unpredictably as it arose, leaving all kinds of paranormal problems in its wake.
Kate Daniels is a down-on-her-luck mercenary who makes her living cleaning up these magical problems. But when Kate’s guardian is murdered, her quest for justice draws her into a power struggle between two strong factions within Atlanta’s magic circles.
The Masters of the Dead, necromancers who can control vampires, and the Pack, a paramilitary clan of shapechangers, blame each other for a series of bizarre killings—and the death of Kate’s guardian may be part of the same mystery. Pressured by both sides to find the killer, Kate realizes she’s way out of her league—but she wouldn’t have it any other way… (Summary and cover courtesy of goodreads.com)
This book reminds me a lot of the Marnie Baranuik files! I think it came out first, but was not introduced to it until now. Kate is a spunky heroine who isn’t afraid to say what she thinks and deal with the consequences. There are a lot of things that we don’t know about her quite yet, but towards the end of the book we get a few inklings of what her background might be.
I liked the balance of the creepy and humor: Just when I was getting a little uncomfortable with the paranormal perspectives, Andrews injects a little humor to the situation to keep things in context. There were a few things that confused me or were not consistent, but considering Andrews introduced a lot of characters and an entire world in a relatively short book, I was very impressed. I’d highly recommend this one to anyone who enjoys the paranormal and a fun chaotic read! Be forewarned though – there are a ton of books in this series!
Warning: Contains repeated graphic violence.
Rating: 4 stars!
Who should read it? Paranormal fans looking for a mashup with a mystery / crime novel!
Want to read the whole series?
- A Questionable Client (Kate Daniels #0.5)
- Magic Burns (Kate Daniels #2)
- Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels #3)
- Magic Mourns (Kate Daniels #3.5)
- Magic Bleeds (Kate Daniels #4)
- Magic Dreams (Kate Daniels #4.5)
- Magic Slays (Kate Daniels #5)
- An Apple for the Creature (Kate Daniels #5.3)
- Magic Gifts (Kate Daniels #5.4)
- Gunmetal Magic (Kate Daniels #5.5)
- An Ill-Advised Rescue (Kate Daniels #5.8)
- Magic Rises (Kate Daniels #6)
- Magic Steals (Kate Daniels #6.5)
- Magic Breaks (Kate Daniels #7)
- Magic Shifts (Kate Daniels #8)
- Magic Stars (Kate Daniels #8.5)
- Magic Binds (Kate Daniels #9)
- Untitled (Kate Daniels #10)