Chronicles the adventures and misadventures of Hiccup Horrendous Haddock the Third as he tries to pass the important initiation test of his Viking clan, the Tribe of the Hairy Hooligans, by catching and training a dragon... (Summary and book cover courtesy of goodreads.com)
Big Warning: THIS BOOK IS NOTHING LIKE THE MOVIE!
Although since I didn’t read the book until after the second movie came out, I did see more similarities across both movies that are in the first book. I’ll be curious to see what else comes out when I read other books in the series. My biggest disappointment is that Toothless is NOTHING like Toothless in the book, which is what made the movie for me. Wah wahh…..
Setting movie differences aside, this is still a cute book. It’s written for kids and certainly a fresh new kind of character (somewhat fatalistic), which I think I would have liked growing up. The drawings in the book are a nice touch as well. The one thing I would warn parents/readers on is that the humor is definitely directed towards young boys: often crude and often a bit gross.
Rating: 4 stars!
Who should read it? Young kids, but adults will probably not find it remotely as good as the movie.
Want to read the whole series?
- How to Be a Pirate (How to Train Your Dragon #2)
- How to Speak Dragonese (How to Train Your Dragon #3)
- How to Cheat a Dragon’s Curse (How to Train Your Dragon #4)
- How to Twist a Dragon’s Tale (How to Train Your Dragon #5)
- A Hero’s Guide to Deadly Dragons (How to Train Your Dragon #6)
- How to Ride a Dragon’s Storm (How to Train Your Dragon #7)
- How to Break a Dragon’s Heart (How to Train Your Dragon #8)
- How to Steal a Dragon’s Sword (How to Train Your Dragon #9)
- How to Seize a Dragon’s Jewel (How to Train Your Dragon #10)
- Dragon’s Hero (How to Train Your Dragon #11)
- One More Day (How to Train Your Dragon #12)